Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Dr. Kristine

I think Caroline has a new fracture. Recently I was at my dad's place and he pointed out that her lower left leg wasn't moving as much and that it looked bigger than the other leg. I rubbed my fingers over her leg and noticed that there was definitely some swelling and a bump. Now I am not even close to a doctor, but with OI you learn to diagnosis fractures on your own. Especially after the orthopedic told us that there is really nothing we can do for her at this young age. We just have to suck it up and it will heal on its own. Hopefully it will heal correctly, if not we will cross that bridge when it comes to it. I have decided not to call the orthopedic and take Caroline to see him, because all he would do is tell us this will happen and we can't blame ourselves. Of course, that is easier said than done. I have no idea how this could happen. We are super careful with her. Anytime a friend asks to hold her we specifically show them what to do, no one has dropped her, and nothing has fallen on her leg. So how in the heck could it have fractured? This alone with many others are questions that I have for Dr. OI at NIH. I know it was nothing Web and I did, but I still feel guilty because my little girl grimaces when her lower left leg is touched in the wrong way. I can still do our exercises with her, so that's good. I really don't want to stop any progress we have made. I am not writing this post for any pity or sadness. I am mainly writing it to remind myself that my daughter has OI. The last post I wrote how I forget that she has it, but then in less than 2 weeks something happens and here we are again, reminded of it.
On another note, I went to a friends baby shower yesterday! So much fun! And so good to see friends from Tulsa, that I haven't seen in a long time! I did catch myself giving opinions to the mom-to-be on what I would get, and what you do and do not need. I never thought I would be one of those moms, but it's amazing the things I have learned in the 3 months of being a mom. The trendy things are cute and fun, but not practical. A bath in the kitchen sink is much easier than a bath in a tub! A swaddle blanket is worth every penny because it helps Caroline go to sleep at night and I will use it for as long as I can. And yes there are some swaddle blankets that are better than others! In my opinion!
All in all life at the Browne home is great! Web is tackling house hunting again. We postponed it during the month of January, it wasn't a priority. I am trying to get Caroline back into a routine, if that's even possible, and Kelsey is still protecting us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment