Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Leaving on a jet plane!

I am so happy. I never thought we would be able to leave early. On our original plan, I was supposed to be sitting in this hotel room with Caroline's one leg splinted, Web was supposed to be back in OKC with Kelsey, and we would be preparing for surgery #2. But like I said in our last post, my timeline has seriously been interrupted!

We were released from the hospital yesterday, 1 day earlier than planned! Caroline didn't need the IV morphine drip anymore. Her pain meds were all orally, so it was hard to justify us staying another night. Not that our nights are easy. Caroline is TICKED OFF. Poor girl, she usually sleeps on her belly, with her legs tucked into her chest. She is so mad that she can't roll over. The last couple nights at the hospital we were literally up with her for hours while she fought the cast. At one time, she was pulling down on the cast thinking she could take it off. Poor thing. It's the absolute worst thing in the world watching your child cry out in frustration/pain. At one time during the last nights at the hospital when I was holding her and we were both crying, I was trying to talk myself into having a conversation with Dr. E about removing the hip spica and saying forget the hip. Who cares if she has a limp? But then I realized that was really selfish of me. So then I thought, ok maybe we can remove the bar between her legs. Because it literally sits right where Baby Boy Browne (BBB) is and he was letting me know he was not comfortable the other night! Imagine a 17 month old crying because she's not comfy, plus a 22 week old fetus moving around in your belly because he's not comfy, plus a mommy who is in desperate need of sleep crying because she has no idea what to do! I am sure the night nurse was petrified to come into our room!

But silver lining. Caroline slept 6 hours in a row last night! Woke up for an hour, frustrated, then went back to sleep for 3 hours! I told Web this morning that she is preparing me for middle of the night feedings for BBB. We are so happy that we get to go home today as a family! As soon as we get home, we plan on hitting Toys R Us, and getting Caroline her own car so she can be transported around the house, plus be outside. It will make all of our lives easier.

As of now, the plan is to be back in Omaha in 5-6 weeks, have her cast removed, put a dye in her hip to make sure the hip is still in place, then sadly put her in another hip spica cast for 6 weeks. Then we will have approx. 4 weeks with Caroline without a cast, then BBB will join us! Never a dull moment! Oh yeah then sometime later in the year, the 4 of us will be back in Omaha for right femur surgery. Oye veh.

We would like to say thank you again for all your prayers and gifts. Web and I don't even have the words to express how grateful we are to you all. I know I owe tons of calls to many of you, and one of these days I will definitely call you back! Please know that your gifts of love and prayers did not go unnoticed. You can especially tell by looking at our bellies! I have never eaten out so much, that I can't wait to get home and just make a salad and put some chicken on the grill!

No comments:

Post a Comment