Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Yet another new countdown!

I cannot believe it's been 5 weeks since my last post. Not much had changed, so I guess there was nothing to update! Caroline was still in a cast and I was/am still pregnant and getting bigger by the minute. And that is no exaggeration. I feel huge. I am sure the 100+ degree temps is not helping!
So today was our "cast removal day". Caroline did great all things considering. I mean there was a saw was near her face and they cut off the cast. As soon as we went back to the room she immediately said, "NO". She knew exactly what was going on. I tried talking her through it this morning, and she said, "cut off", but I don't think she knew what cut meant. After that, we went downstairs to orthotics and she was fitted for a hip brace, then back upstairs to x-rays and questions. Being pregnant during this time definitely has its benefits. I can't physically be in the room during x-rays so I got to miss them. But Web did tell me it was not a pleasant experience. Imagine your legs being in the same position for 11 weeks, and all of a sudden a complete stranger is moving them and taking an x-ray. Needless to say she was not happy. We even had tylenol with codeine in her and she still wasn't happy.
But when it's all said and done she is ok. She is much lighter, which I welcome with open arms. My lower back was officially hurting.

So onto the bad news, because you know nothing is ever simple.

Caroline has to be in this hip brace, full time for a month. Night, day, all the time. Our dr. is afraid that if we take her out of it to bathe her or to let her swim she will start kicking her leg (of course she would) and that could hinder the hip healing process. Our dr. did tell us he is conservative and would rather be safe than sorry. After 11 weeks in a cast, we really don't want the hip to move out of place so we might as well suck it up and just deal with it. So, in 4 weeks we go back and hopefully at that time, she will just be wearing the brace at night time. Web and I have yet another learning curve on how to care for her, change her diaper, etc. But we've done it twice now, so what's a 3rd time? What's that saying, "3rd times a charm"? And nothing like up to the last minute. I am literally having BBB in 6 1/2 weeks unless he decides to join us earlier. So that will give us approximately 19 days of freedom. We started this journey mid April and when it's all said and done we will have about 19 days without a cast or a full time brace! What a wild trip! I guess we should just count our blessings that this has been a super, easy pregnancy!
/knocking on wood/

Thank you all so much for your prayers, kind words, cards, balloons, toys, and food! Web, Caroline and I absolutely could not have done this without your support!

Love to all! US

No comments:

Post a Comment