Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Friday, January 1, 2010

Email from Thursday, December 31st

Happy New Year! Web and I hope this email finds you all well! I have been sitting in our office across from Caroline's room as she sleeps and I have been thinking about 2009.
So much has happened. Most of you know this but here is the recap:
Sold my house in Tulsa with this crazy economy!
Moved to OKC.
Planned the wedding of my dreams!
Went on the most beautiful honeymoon in Europe for 2 weeks!
Got pregnant and had Sweet Caroline!
Not too bad for 2 people that toasted 2009 together while watching fireworks downtown with no clue of what was in store for us.
There is not one thing I would take back from this year. Now of course, there were some major downs, friends lost parents, loved ones were hurt inexplicitly, jobs were lost, new careers started, and bad things happened to good people. But Web and I are not going to dwell on the bad, but start 2010 on a very positive note!

We finally heard from Dr OI at NIH! FINALLY!! Once Web got the ball rolling it hasn't stopped. We have talked to Dr OIs nurse practitioner (NP) and she has set us up with an appt Feb 8th and 9th! When they asked if those days were ok, we didn't even hesitate. Of course we will be there! Just tell us what to do. Now my mom instinct has kicked in. What were we thinking agreeing to take a 3 month old baby to Bethesda, MD in the dead of winter? Are we nuts? Can it not wait until March or April? Needless to say, I have an email to the NP with those questions plus others. Once we have a confirmed date we will let you know. No, we don't want to delay the inevitable, but if I could avoid putting Caroline on a plane at 3 months in February then I will!
Not only did Web get in touch with the NP, but he has also talked at length with a physical therapist that specializes in OI! HOORAY! She told him some basic exercises and we have started them at home.
1. Caroline needs to lay on both sides, this will help with her bowed legs. Squeezing the legs together. I put her on each side for about 20 minutes every morning.
2. We also do water exercises. I am not quite comfortable doing this one by myself. An extra set of hands makes me feel better, so we don't do it as often.
3. Plus I do daily exercises with her limbs, 3 sets of 8 reps. Usually after a diaper change!

All in all we are doing well! Caroline doesn't seem to be in any pain. We can't wait for our trip to NIH and to see what this new year will bring.
As we learn more about the NIH program we will let you know.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment