Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Sunday, January 3, 2010

SERIOUSLY?!?

thought I was starting this year on a positive note?
So at 3:42 this morning the phone rang, at first I thought it was Caroline crying that woke me up, but then I realized it was the phone. Who in the world could be calling? I mean none of us stay out until 3 in the morning and need a ride home from the bar!
Next thing I know I hear Janis saying, "Kristine it's Janis I am at the hospital with your dad, he has had cardiac failure." Web jumped so fast, I never knew he could move like that. I got on the phone and she told me what no one ever wants to hear about a parent. Dad had a heart attack. She put the nurse on the phone and in her most diplomatically way she could, she said to get to Tulsa asap. It wasn't good. Well what in the heck are you supposed to do with a 2 month old, PLUS live in a different city?! On perfect timing, Caroline woke up and wanted a bottle. I grabbed my little girl, held her close and gave her a bottle. I sat there and realized we needed to get my mom to my house asap so she could watch Caroline and Kelsey. Luckily mom woke up when she heard the phone and was at our house by 4:45. Web and I jumped in our car and I drove us to Tulsa in one hour 15 minutes, new record for me...
As soon as I got there, the nurse told us it wasn't good and that dad was very sick. His heart is diseased, and to top it off his kidneys were failing due to his diabetes, his sugar count was 800 when it should have been 100 PLUS he had fluid on his lungs. They told us at 6:25 they could take us back in 20 minutes to see him. At 7:45 they had yet to take us back to him and I knew something was wrong. Sure enough they came back to the waiting room and told us they could not sedate him and he was very, very ill. They also said no one should leave just in case. Finally we were able to go back and I swear to you, he looked just like my grandpa. His hair was more silver than grey. He had spots on his arms that my grandpa had, it was like he aged within minutes.
We all went back to the waiting room in total disbelief. Just yesterday my dad and brother were in OKC with Web and I celebrating Christmas. He was totally fine. He had a little cough, but with the weather I didn't think anything of it. Kevin said on the drive home he was perfectly fine and didn't say one word about not feeling well. He got home around 9 that night and by 11:30 he was at urgent care having his massive heart attack. They say he probably had a mild one earlier in the week and didn't know it.
Around noon dad took a turn for the better. He was finally sedated and the ICU nurse told me that she was actually able to leave his room for a moment, when earlier that day, she couldn't leave even for one second because his BP kept dropping and his pulse was racing. At one time his BP was in the 70s and his heart rate was 180. That is horrible.
At about 4:30 I talked to the ICU nurse again and she was super impressed with how well he was doing. Instead of taking 2 steps back, like they anticapted he was taking steps forward. I told her my situation about a 2 month old at home in OKC who was getting her shots tomorrow AM! She asked what my dad would say, and I told her he would tell me to go to her appt and she said, well then there's your answer. And in my heart I know we did the right thing, but it was the worst feeling ever. I actually went into his room twice to say good night because I couldn't bear to leave him. I just kept begging him to wake up so he could see Caroline and show her how to put her fingers in her mouth. That was the lesson he was showing her yesterday!
I just got off the phone with the same night ICU nurse who advised me to get to Tulsa asap early this morning and she said she sees 200% improvement in dad tonight. He has his coloring back, his BP is normal, hear rate is normal, and his urine is normal. They will take another urine sample tomorrow to check his kidneys. At one time today, he was at 50-70%. His blood sugar is also at 98! They have been pumping him insulin.
However, we are far from good. Right now all this improvement, is with meds and machines. He is not breathing on his own, nor is his heart beating on its own. He also has 3 clogged arteries, but he is far from ready for bypass open heart surgery. Dad is sedated now and probably will be for awhile. If he were to be stimulated it could cause more shock, which could cause another heart attack. And per the nurse if he had another heart attack right now he would not survive. Right now all the machcines are helping him, but eventually they will start taking the meds off of him one by one.
As always I am just purging info. But I know you have all texted, called, emailed, etc and I am forever grateful.
Tomorrow Web and I are taking Caroline to get her shots, taking Kelsey to the vet to stay the night, then back to Tulsa. My Uncle will be in Tulsa tomorrow from Jackson, MS. Our plan is to stay the night tomorrow night and see what Tuesday might bring.
Thanks again for all your prayers! Who knew we would be asking for them again!

Oh yeah, Kevin and Janis are with dad tonight. That was the only way I was leaving, knowing someone would be there with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment