Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Friday, May 21, 2010

2 weeks down, but who's counting??

I am counting! My sweet, little girl STINKS! It sucks! Bless her heart. Remember how I mentioned the diapers are their own blog? Well here we are. As you know, and as you have seen in the picture, Caroline has on a full body cast. It is on both legs, and goes just below her breast line. She has a small "window" down below. Caroline's cast is too big for her regular size 1-2 diapers. So we have bought size 5 diapers, plus we are back to newborn size diapers. We insert the newborn diaper inside her size 5 diaper. (size 5 is all that fits around the cast) However, for those of you that don't have much experience with diapers, newborn diapers are for newborns, who have approx. 2 ounces of formula or breast milk every 3 hours. Caroline has 6 ounces every 3 hours, PLUS we had just started solids. So needless to say the newborn diaper needs to be changed often. With solid foods, comes nasty diapers. Well imagine her small "window" after carrots. It is not a pretty sight. Needless to say, Web and I have opened her window a little larger by cutting some of the dirtiness, but we are out of cutting room. We are now to the point of getting to close to her splints, so we are stuck. Bless her heart, she just stinks. I have told many friends, that if I could Febreeze her, I would in a heart beat. But with my luck, she would inhale it and we would have a bigger problem on our hands! So, Web and I are just sucking it up. Lotion doesn't help, sponge baths don't help. I can't wait for the cast to come off, so I can put her in the bathtub for a good hour! I will strip her sheets, anything and everything. I will throw away all the ace bandages. Hell, if it was winter time, I would burn the damn things. Seriously, I can't stand them.
On a lighter, not so graphic note, we did go to the dr. yesterday and he was extremely pleased with the healing of her femur bone! He is also very hopeful that next Thursday we can take her out of the full body cast! Whoah hoah! This brings us much happiness, but also brings me much apprehension. Her leg more than likely won't be 100% healed, so who is to say, it won't immediately break again? She did this on a bed, near pillows. There was no blunt force that caused the fracture. I am the one that will be holding her 85% of her day, will I cause her to fracture again? Will I set her down wrong? Will she try to roll over like most 7 month old babies and break again? Will she try to crawl and break? What about when it comes time for her to try to stand or walk? How many breaks will she have? I ask myself these questions daily, if not hourly. I am petrified that when this cast comes off we will be right back at the office for a new one. Yes, I know I can't live in fear our whole lives. And I honestly don't plan, nor want to, but it's always on my mind. Well, that and her teeth. Every day I look in her mouth. So far, the lower gums are still just swollen. Thank Goodness! There is no way I could handle DI right now on top of a fractured femur. God must know where I draw the line!
So, as you can see we have some good news! C next week will more than likely be free of a body cast!
Thank you all for your calls, texts, emails. They are so appreciated! I love talking to my friends and family! You truly help!

No comments:

Post a Comment