Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Thursday, May 6, 2010

We have a 6 month old!

We cannot even believe it. 6 months ago, Sweet Caroline joined our little family and our lives have never been the same. We have had so much fun watching her grow and develop. Today I took her to see our pediatrician and she weighs 12 lbs 1 oz! She has almost doubled her weight since birth. She is still 22 inches, but I have given up on her length. The nurse is scared to pull her leg to measure her and we know she is going to be short statured. Matter of fact, she is in the 0 percentile for her height, 3% weight, but 10% head circumference which makes me laugh. We obviously are going to have a petite girl, which also makes me laugh because we are far from petite! Caroline passed all the doctors clinical tests and she cried during shots just like every other baby. We then went to the orthopedic doctor. Luckily we had her x-rays from NIH, so we were able to avoid more radiation. The ortho dr was very impressed with her clinically plus he was happy with her bones in the x-rays. He said they looked stronger, so that obviously made us happy. The one discrepancy from his previous x-rays to NIH x-rays, is Caroline's right hip looks dislocated. However, he isn't sure if it's because of the angle of the x-rays, or if they aren't developed yet. He was pretty stumped about it. So, when we go back in 4 months, we will take an x-ray of just her pelvis and see what it shows. As of now, there is nothing he could do to fix it, so might as well not worry about it. Needless to say, I immediately thought of my hip issues and thought for sure sure she got it from me. Then, of course, I thought maybe I do have the OI gene and she got that from me too. Talk about feeling guilty. But until the skin biopsy results are in, we are just patiently waiting. The ortho dr also told us that his partner at the Bethany, OK office uses the same drug as NIH. So that was promising. Maybe we won't have to fly to NIH every 3 months? Too soon to know.
All in all, it was a good day. 6 months ago when we went to 2 doctors appointments in 1 day we were exhausted and totally drained. Today, it was just like any other day.
Oh yeah, Dr Sigler, the pediatrician, looked at Caroline's lower gums. They are swollen, so we will probably be seeing a tooth sonner than later. Needless to say, I am freaked out. I do not want DI. Yes, I am still thinking about DI 24/7. I guess we'll know soon enough!
Happy Mothers Day to you all! I know I am super pumped to be a mommy this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment