Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Saturday, May 15, 2010

5 days down...

Well what a week. Besides Monday and spending it at the hospital, we were at our orthopedics office an additional 2 times. The joy of having a soft full body cast is we don't stunt her bone growth. The bad new? She moves around so much the hard splints have to be re-set, not once but TWICE! Which means a huge crying fit, plus mom and dad totally upset because we don't know how to prevent it. All Caroline wants to do is play with her arms and legs like all other 6 month old babies. She just recently found her toes and put them in her mouth, so how dare we cover them up so she can't play with them, or see them!?!?! She gets so aggravated and so bored. All she wants to do is be a 6 month old baby.
As I type this, she is lying in bed with me. Yes, in bed with me. I have said from the beginning, that none of our children would ever get in bed with us, because I didn't want to start that habit. I know people that do it and to each their own. If that's what works for you then great, but I didn't want to start the habit. Well, here I am. Laying in bed with my daughter, typing my blog while Web and Kelsey Lynn are in the guest bedroom.
You see, Caroline hates her body cast. HATES it. She startles herself in the middle of sleeping when she tries to roll over, move her legs. So, she immediately wakes up crying. We also can't do our routine. As most moms know, babies love routines.
Bath, Swaddle, Bottle, Bed. Done and Done. Well, C can't have a bath, nor can we swaddle her, so she gets a bottle, then crib and she maybe lasts 30 minutes, then she wakes herself up. Plus the body cast is hot. So she really isn't a fan of clothing. She is sweating a lot. It's just a nightmare. We had finally got C into a routine and sleeping thru the night. Now, once this is all said and done, we will have to start all over again. It just drives me crazy. I know there are much bigger issues. But I prided ourselves on our routine and how she was sleeping. Oh well! Guess we'll just start again. So, C is in bed with me, because she wakes herself up in the middle of the night so much it's just easier for me to have her right next to me than walking into her room every time. Laziness on my part? Probably so.
Web and I did have a nice dinner out last night to celebrate our anniversary. Nana came to our house to babysit, which was great! It's so nice to have grandparents near us to help us out!
We go back to the doctor this Thursday. They will more than likely take an x-ray, check to see how she is doing, and then we'll go from there. I just hope they can take this stupid body cast off of her, because I am so over it! And I know Caroline is as well!!

1 comment:

  1. Poor little peanut! I can't believe how much you've gone through and how strong you've been. I'm glad you have help and the NIH experience sounds wonderful -- thank God for people knowledgeable in OI. I'm thinking of you all and hoping little Caroline can heal up and get out of this cast soon.... :)

    ReplyDelete