Cast of Characters

Kristine: mommy, friend, wife
Web: daddy, husband, man of reason
Caroline: Sweet Caroline, daughter
Kelsey: Sweet Precious Angel, miniature schnauzer, ruler of the house, protector of family
Robert Joseph: baby boy

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

This parenting stuff is not easy. I feel like we are constantly being pulled into tough decisions and we will never know if we are making the right one or not. But I guess you just hope and pray that you get it right. Well, that plus crying and begging to GOD that you are doing the right thing! I don't know how many times I have told GOD I would switch places with Caroline if he would let me. I still get angry thinking that this is NOT her fault.

This past week we finally heard back from the dr. in Montreal, he agreed with both doctors on a different level. Yes, she needs to be rodded in all 4 leg long bones, but we also need to address the hip now instead of later. He really is a smart man. He knew exactly how Caroline's legs were placed when she was born, plus knew that she was breached. He asked Web what she was doing with her legs, ie trying to pull up and the dr. said that she will walk! WHAT?!? No one has ever told us that Caroline would walk. We have always been told, "we'll see how she develops" or "she'll let us know if she can walk". NEVER, EVER has anyone said she will walk. I was overwhelmed with emotion. I cannot believe that I will get to see my little girl walk. I think deep down, I have always been preparing myself to see Caroline in a wheelchair but to think she can walk? Truly a miracle. Of course, she will probably need help with a walker, especially for long distance but that is ok by me.

After all of this, we have finally decided that we are going to take Caroline to Omaha for her surgery. Dr. Esposito, who is in Omaha, is on board with Dr. Fassier's assessment and he will be performing the surgery. He will do her left femur and left tibia on April 14th, we will hang out for a week in Omaha, then on April 21st he will do her right femur, tibia, AND hip. This will be a longer surgery and it all makes me super, duper nervous. Caroline will be under general anaesthesia for 6 hours! But we trust our doctor 100%.

We meet next week with our local orthopedic and will "break", no pun intended, the news to him. We are hoping he will be co-operative with her post-op care. I am sure he will be but anxious to talk to him about it. We love Dr. Herndon, and don't want to ruin any relationship we have already built with him.

So as you can see, we have been busy making important decisions for our Sweet Caroline. We absolutely know we made the right decision but we have so many other emotions going through our head. I don't think I will ever get another good nights rest!

Baby #2 is moving right along. I swear sometimes I forget I am pregnant. Then I try to put on a pair of pants that are a little snug in the waist and remember! Now that the nausea and headaches are gone, it's harder to remember! Well at least for now. We go to the high risk dr. in 10 days and we should find out what we are having! We tried this week but its legs were crossed, which tells me it's another girl. But Web is still holding out for a boy. We shall see!
Love to all!

2 comments:

  1. Kristi! I always think of you and Caroline and love to read your blog to see how you guys have been. We miss seeing both your sweet faces in the morning. Stroller Strides has grown a lot since you left with a few more moms. There is a pregnancy theme right now with 2 moms telling me they are expecting in the class and you are the third I know expecting! I am so excited for you guys and glad to hear you are not sick anymore. Can't wait to see what you are having and keep in touch! Good luck with everything with Caroline! You are doing great and she knows she has the best parents in the world!! :)
    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers are always there for you guys...Lil Miss Caroline is a trooper! I'm glad to read that she will WALK...that is awesome! I know the surgery will be scary but it sounds like the doctors know what they are talking about and they have high hopes for this lil angel! :o) Thinking about you and look forward to following Caroline's progress.
    Shelly Stoffel

    ReplyDelete